Different Ways of Playing Roulette to Have More Fun
Roulette is one of the most entertaining casino games, mainly because there are so many different ways you can play it. But, if you’ve never played online roulette before, determining how to play can be challenging.
You always want to know what you’re doing, how to make the right bets, and how these bets work. These are all of the things you’ll learn in this comprehensive guide for playing roulette.
Different Ways for Playing Roulette
When it comes to different ways of playing roulette, we primarily think of the type of roulette bets you can make in the game.
Some sites say that there are sixteen types of bets, while others count more than twenty. No matter this, there are two main types of online and live roulette bets – inside and outside bets. Let’s start with the latter first:
Outside bets are wagers located on the perimeter of the roulette betting table. They are arguably more diverse than inside ones, as they cover colors and groups of numbers. Outside bets provide you with the following betting options:
- Odd/Even – One of the simplest ways to play roulette. When you’re placing this bet, you’re choosing whether an odd or even number will come up.
- Red/Black – Identical as the previous one, except you’re betting on color instead of the number. Like the previous one, this is an even-money bet.
- High/Low – Another even money bet, in which you’re choosing whether the ball will land on a number between 1 and 18 or 19 and 36.
- Columns – Covers three betting options, each with twelve numbers that span the long side of the betting table.
- Dozens – Like the previous type of bet, it covers numbers in a group of a dozen. The difference is that the dozens are grouped into numbers from 1 to 12, 13 to 24, and 25 to 36.
Inside bets include all of the possible betting options located on the inner side of the roulette betting table. These cover a few different ways of betting:
- Straight Up Bet – This is the simplest type of roulette bet. You bet on just one number. If the ball lands on the number you’ve picked, you win. If it doesn’t, you lose.
- Split – Similar to the previous type of bet, but instead of betting on just one number, you’re betting on two numbers that sit one next to another.
- Street – A bet you can place on any row of three numbers. In some casinos, this is also called a trio bet.
- Line – This betting option allows you to cover two rows of three numbers. The numbers need to be on two consecutive rows.
- Corner – Includes betting on four numbers that touch corners to form a square.
- First-Four Bet – Covers the first four numbers (0-1-2-3). It’s also called a Basket bet.
- Five-Number Bet – Similar to the previous type of bet, but includes the 00.
Call Bets – A Special Way of Playing Roulette
In addition to the inside and outside bets, European and French Roulette tables also provide you with an additional way of betting – call bets.
This way of playing differs from the previous two in that you verbally announce these bets instead of placing money on the table – something you can’t do with games like live blackjack.
- Voisins du Zero – The direct translation from French is “neighbors of zero”. This type of bet covers the numbers closest to the zero on the wheel.
- Tiers du Cylindre – Translated from French, it means “thirds of the wheel”. It covers the twelve numbers between 27 and 33.
- Orphelins – A bet that covers the two remaining slices outside of the previous two bets. It includes eight numbers. Orphelins covers five bets in total – four splits and one straight up bet.
- Jeu Zero – A bet that covers six numbers closest to the zero and the zero itself.
- Neighbors – One of the most confusing bets in roulette. You should avoid it if you’re a beginner. In simple terms, a neighbors bet is a five-piece bet in which you back one number with two numbers on each side.
Playing Roulette – What’s Next for You?
OK, now that you know all of the different ways you can play roulette, what’s the next step? Well, if you’ve memorized all of the types of bets we’ve discussed above, you can start playing!
If you’re playing online, the best way of going about it is to try out all of the different ways of betting in a free setting.
Choose an online casino you want to play in, open up the demo version of the roulette game and work your way down all of the types of bets we’ve talked about.
Doing so will allow you to find the most exciting forms of betting and practice them before moving on to real money bets.